Monday, January 16, 2012

Never again!


Trouble Down South and Other Stories by Katrina Parker Williams

The stories in this book contain the time between the beginnings of the horror of slaves in America to the present plight of black Americans in the southern US. The stories are a stirring reminder of what has been and what continues to be. This book also includes some stories that aren’t as heart-wrenching, but more heart-warming like Grandpa’s Courtship, and Rock.

I can’t imagine what it’s like to be dismissed entirely based on my skin color. I have experienced instant dismissal as a woman, however. I know this dims in comparison to what I read, but it sent the message of the book more deeply into my heart.

I loved that the stories ended with education. When we decide to make education, empathy and love a priority in our lives, then we will be able to move forward united.

I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to grow their compassion and education. If we don’t learn from the past, we are doomed to repeat it.

Katrina Parker Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment