Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Abuse and PTSD




No Comfort Zone by Marla Handy

I spent the afternoon with tears streaking down my face with this book. Never have I heard someone explain the life of a survivor of abuse with such rawness and power. Marla takes us through a few horrific experiences of her past and explains how she deals with life like a soldier with PSTD. The resemblances are striking and hit home more than once.

I loved this book despite feeling like I rubbed a sunburn with sandpaper. It’s not a how-to-get-over-your-tragedy-and-get-on-with-life book. Marla helps us to acknowledge that there are some things that you can’t just forget and leave in the past. There are some avenues to try and some will provide help, but the victim of abuse can feel utterly alone and unable to control responses to the unexpected.

I would highly recommend this book even if you haven’t experienced abuse in your life. It’s an accurate path to empathizing with those who have.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for suggesting this book. Since I was abused the subject matter is important to me to see how others handled their abuse.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it...just have a box of tissues or punching bag handy.

      Delete