Thursday, April 26, 2012

You can start with nothing

You can start with nothing. And out of nothing, and out of no way, A way will be made.
-Michael Beckwith


Recently, I've been troubled about the path I've taken in life. I've lived the typical path of 9-5 work and have been very successful according to the values of society. I have a house, the internet, a car and quite a few other toys adults are expected to collect over their lifetime. A year ago, I decided to leave the "security" of my 9-5 job and pursue the non-conventional career of independent writing. Things have been great until recently. This month I have had to ask for help with paying bills. It has been a very humbling experience, but this past weekend I was shown it's my choice how I perceive any situation. I can choose to see a way, or I can choose to be trapped, literally.


My sister invited me to take a walk along the sky bridge in our city Vancouver, WA. I happily agreed and we parked in the gated lot next to Fort Vancouver. We had a lovely time looking at the art and the native vegetation along the path. After a couple of hours, we decided to return home. As we approached my car, I noticed that mine was the only one left in the parking lot. I quickly dismissed the thought and climbed inside. I drove to the exit, and saw the gate was shut and locked. I remembered there was another gate where we entered and drove to it only to find  that it was closed as well. My sister was silently fuming and upset that we were stuck. I realized that I had a choice to either give into despair or to decide that there will be a way out of the lot. My sister and I scanned for openings in the fence large enough for my car to fit through. Sadly, there wasn't an open section, but there was a portion of fence that had a railing missing. I inspected closer to see if we could remove the remaining fence line and drive through. It wouldn't budge. My sister looked at my compact car and suggested that a few men could probably lift it over the fence. I shot this idea down knowing that there would be a simpler way out. We walked along the fence, and a bicyclist rode up and inquired if we were locked in. I smiled and said that we were. He pointed to the top of a grassy hill and said that the local ranger lives in a house up there and will likely have keys to let us out. I hurried back to my car to lock it up and followed my sister up the hill. The bicyclist rode ahead and then returned with the news that the gates weren't locked and the lock was merely in place. We made a happy about-face and followed the cyclist back down the hill. He opened the gate, and we hurried to my car. We waved to and thanked our new friend as we left the lot. The phrase came to my mind over and over "...out of no way, a way will be made." A way was made the instant I chose to be open to that opportunity. What will you choose?

1 comment: